Phone: (03) 5722 5239
Staffed by Continence Nurse Advisers and a Continence Physiotherapist, this clinic offers continence assessments, diagnosis and treatment plans for clients with urinary and faecal incontinence and other forms of bladder and bowel dysfunction.
This continence clinic services clients who live in the Rural City of Wangaratta, the Shire of Alpine and the Shire of Delatite. The clinic operates 5 days a week and is located in the Community Care Centre of Northeast Health Wangaratta. (Home and Community Care (HACC) clients – generally those who are frail, aged or disabled – are usually seen at home by continence nurses from Ovens and King Community Health Service).
The Continence Clinic also offers a specialised service – the Continence Support Service – for children (aged 5 to 16 years) with disabilities who have toileting or continence issues related to their disability. This service has a limited number of funding packages available to help cover the cost of continence supplies.
A support service for medical and nursing staff offering consultation of, and advice regarding inpatients with complex continence needs, bowel and bladder dysfunction and catheter related problems.
- Continence assessments, diagnosis and individualised treatment plans
- Pelvic floor exercise programs, bladder retraining and bowel programs
- Pelvic floor physiotherapy before and after gynaecological and urological surgery and post natally
- Treatment for pelvic pain
- Catheter management including intermittent self catheterisation
- Education and counselling for clients and carers
- Advice regarding appropriate continence aids and appliances
- Applications for subsidies to help cover the cost of continence supplies
- Referral where necessary to other members of the multidisciplinary health team
- Provision of education sessions to interested community groups
Information for Clients
- Referrals accepted from all health care professionals
- Clients and carers can also self refer
- Our waiting list is generally 1-2 months, but this can vary
- Initial consultation takes approximately 1 to 1.5 hours and is free of charge
- Subsequent visits are $9 – $13 (income based)
Continence Foundation of Australia
National Continence Helpline
1800 33 00 66
8 am – 8 pm 7 days